Friday, June 01, 2007

Realtor Open Houses

A new agent in our office was sponsoring a Realtors only open house today in Clayton. I stopped by for a while and chatted with her and got a tour of a rather impressive house with over 4,000 sq. ft. of living space, not including the basement. Shortly after I arrived, another member of my firm stopped by as well.

The question I have is if Open Houses really work? I have sold one home that came from a Sunday Open House in the entire time I have had my license. I have attended a few Realtor only open houses and didn't see a huge turn out. But, for some strange reason, the public is under the impression that an open house will get a home sold quickly. My personal observation is that you usually get the nosey neighbors that want to see inside your home and your possessions. They are so reluctant to sign the register, a lot of times, they never come through, afraid you will know they were walking through your home.

I hold precious few open houses. If a client asks me to, I will, but I will explain the realities of an open house and they usually agree not to have it open. Most times, open houses are held for the benefit of the Realtor, not the clients selling the home.

No comments: