Thursday, September 07, 2006

I am a Happy Camper!

For those of you who know me at all, you know I love Apple Computers. I'm not a Mac bigot, I just think they make wonderful products that are ahead of their time. Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Well, if you know anything about the history of the Macintosh, you have heard of Guy Kawasaki. I wrote him an email the other day and he responded to me. Guy was an Apple Fellow and the best evangelist they have ever had. I was re-reading his book 'The Art of the Start' and noticed he mentioned something about boxers (the dog kind) and sent him a brief message asking about his boxer and telling him about our boxer, Holly. I also asked if he had any plans to write any books on how technology can influence the real estate industry. Here's what he wrote:

David,
Thanks for your email. Unfortunately, our boxer died one night. It was very sad. I hope you enjoy yours. No books planned right now, and I don't know much about the application of technology to real estate. I don't think there's a magic bullet. You just have to pound on people, work with those who "get it," and hope that it spreads.
My best wishes to you!
Guy

OK, it may not mean much to those of you who are Realtors reading this who think a fax machine and a cell phone are 'Cutting Edge' technology. But, for those of you reading this who 'get it' as Guy said, you realize that change is imminent. It's going to happen. Why not be a leader in this area instead of a follower? Do you embrace technology or fear it? Will you have to be dragged into the information age kicking and screaming?

One of the things we have been dealing with at Exit Realty Partners is getting agents to understand that we are a technology-centric company. We embrace it. We know how to use it effectively, and we implement it. Many of our competitors are focused on the fact we don't pay for print advertising. Well, that's true, we don't. We would rather focus our time, energy and money on tools and training on a medium that is the future of this industry. Information presented in a timely manner is what is important. When the price of a home changes, can you go back and reprint all your adds and magazines hoping to accurately reflect the price? I don't think so. With electronic media, you can.

So as I try to evangelize to my fellow Realtors out there, get ready for the revolution that is happening. You can be part of it and the future, or fade away into the sunset wondering what has happened.

No comments: