Monday, October 27, 2008

I Don't Do Windows



Spent Saturday night doing something that has made me tremendously happy. I got Windows totally off my main PC and installed Ubuntu 8.10. I have long said it's time to stop paying "The Bill" and even though I haven't bought a copy of Windows for years (my Macs serve me quite well) I decided to stop using Windows at home on any of my machines. We have two machines still running Windows (Dana's & Kyle's) and Dana has told me when her machine needs to be replaced, let's get her a Mac as well. Oh, I do love her so.

Ubuntu installed quite easily and the administration set up was a breeze. My old Pentium 4 flys running it compated to Windows. Had to tweak a few settings for sound to work right, but again, took maybe 2 minutes to correct. Hey, I enjoy using my old Compaq machine again.

See the dorky screen shots of it installing and updating OpenOffice.org.

No comments: